Families of 76 fire victims face longer wait as court reopens prosecution case
Reopened prosecution case delays justice for families of Johannesburg fire victims
Seventy-six people died in the Usindiso Building fire on August 31, 2023. Their families are still waiting for a verdict. On Monday, a Johannesburg High Court took a step that will delay that moment further, but one the court says is necessary: the court authorized prosecutors to reopen their case against Sthembiso Lawrence Mdlalose, the man accused of starting the blaze.
Mdlalose faces 76 counts of murder and 12 counts of attempted murder. The fire also injured numerous residents and stands as one of South Africa’s deadliest fire disasters. The High Court, sitting in Palm Ridge, granted the state’s application after both the prosecution and defence had already presented their complete cases, filed written arguments, and delivered oral submissions.
What changed: the court identified inconsistencies in post-mortem examination reports and determined that additional expert testimony would serve the interests of justice. The court instructed both sides to address those discrepancies, and the National Prosecuting Authority responded by bringing the application to reopen. State prosecutors will now be permitted to call expert witnesses who can clarify specific portions of the medical examination records.
The prosecution’s account of events is stark. Mdlalose allegedly became involved in a violent dispute with another Usindiso Building resident identified only as “KB,” over money related to drugs. Prosecutors contend that Mdlalose assaulted KB until the resident lost consciousness. Believing the victim to be dead, he allegedly purchased petrol, returned to the building, poured it over KB’s body, and set it alight to conceal the assault. The fire spread rapidly through the structure and killed 76 people.
Mdlalose’s own account has shifted considerably since that night. In September 2023, he admitted to the Khampepe Commission of Inquiry that he had started the fire. During trial proceedings, he retracted that confession entirely, claiming he had made the admission under emotional distress and while under the influence of drugs, and that he had confessed to avoid becoming homeless.
NPA communication officer Magaboke Mohlatlole addressed the ruling directly. “The reopening of the case will ensure that all relevant evidence is properly ventilated before the court and that the matter is determined in the interests of justice,” Mohlatlole said, adding that the state remains dedicated to presenting a thorough case and to securing accountability for the lives lost.
The reopening is a procedural step, not a retrial. By allowing expert witnesses to address the post-mortem discrepancies, the court aims to ensure its final determination rests on a complete and clearly explained medical record. The High Court has scheduled the case to resume on Wednesday for the hearing of that additional evidence.
For the families of the 76 people who died in Johannesburg that August night, the question of when, and whether, a verdict arrives remains unanswered.
Q&A
How many people died in the Usindiso Building fire and when did it occur?
Seventy-six people died in the Usindiso Building fire on August 31, 2023.
What charges does Sthembiso Lawrence Mdlalose face?
Mdlalose faces 76 counts of murder and 12 counts of attempted murder.
Why did the High Court authorize the reopening of the prosecution case?
The court identified inconsistencies in post-mortem examination reports and determined that additional expert testimony would serve the interests of justice.
What is the prosecution's account of how the fire started?
Prosecutors contend that Mdlalose became involved in a violent dispute with a resident over money related to drugs, assaulted the resident until unconscious, then purchased petrol, poured it over the body, and set it alight to conceal the assault.