Dumisani Khumalo Cleared to Resume Work as Legal Battle Ends
Crime & Investigation

Dumisani Khumalo Cleared to Resume Work as Legal Battle Ends

Crime Intelligence official cleared after charges withdrawn in Pretoria court

PRETORIA - Dumisani Khumalo walked out of the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Friday with charges formally withdrawn and a single, measured message: he is ready to get back to work.

“I’m not sure how I feel, but one is ready to continue doing what is right,” Khumalo told eNCA outside the courthouse. The words carried the weight of months of legal uncertainty and, beneath them, a clear determination to move forward.

The withdrawal covered Khumalo, Crime Intelligence boss Brigadier Dineo Mokwele, and their co-accused. The process had begun well before Friday’s court appearance. The Investigating Directorate Against Corruption (IDAC) submitted a memorandum, and the accused made their own representations. In July, National Director of Public Prosecutions Andy Mothibi issued an order to withdraw the charges entirely. The case is now legally closed; it cannot be re-enrolled without Mothibi’s explicit written approval.

That provision matters. It provides genuine closure, but it also underscores how much discretionary authority shaped the outcome.

Standing outside court, Khumalo reflected on what he described as a troubling pattern, expressing concern that Crime Intelligence officials had been singled out for prosecution. “It is very concerning for the country,” he said. “We tried our best and we are still trying our best for that to not negatively impact our work.” He framed the episode not as a personal vindication requiring celebration but as an obstacle, now cleared, to continued service.

Throughout the proceedings, Khumalo had maintained that the charges would not shake his commitment to law enforcement. His remarks on Friday reinforced that position. “This whole issue did not have any impact on our commitment and our calling to serving the people of this country,” he stated.

Meanwhile, the formal withdrawal in court made what had been an administrative decision a matter of public record. For Khumalo and his co-accused, the prolonged legal limbo that had defined the preceding months is over.

What remains open is harder to quantify. Whether the institutional questions that may have prompted the investigation are genuinely resolved is something Khumalo did not address in his public remarks. His focus, at least on Friday, was narrower and more immediate: resuming his role in crime intelligence operations and leaving the courtroom behind.

Q&A

What did Dumisani Khumalo say about his readiness to return to work?

Khumalo told eNCA outside the courthouse: 'I'm not sure how I feel, but one is ready to continue doing what is right.' He stated that the legal issue did not impact his commitment to serving the people of the country.

Who were the accused parties in the case that had charges withdrawn?

Dumisani Khumalo, Crime Intelligence boss Brigadier Dineo Mokwele, and their co-accused had charges formally withdrawn.

What role did the National Director of Public Prosecutions play in the case?

Andy Mothibi, National Director of Public Prosecutions, issued an order in July to withdraw the charges entirely. The case cannot be re-enrolled without his explicit written approval.

What concern did Khumalo express about the investigation and prosecution?

Khumalo expressed concern that Crime Intelligence officials had been singled out for prosecution, stating 'It is very concerning for the country' and emphasizing efforts to prevent the episode from negatively impacting Crime Intelligence work.